Section 8 in San Diego

“Section 8 in San Diego”: this term is getting a lot of buzz, especially in the case of rental housing. All landlords and property managers must follow this program’s guidelines, but its intricacies are very complex.

That’s why we have got you this blog, which will clarify everything from what exactly it is to the procedure and its impact in a detailed way. 

So, let’s get started!


What Is Section 8?

Section 8, also recognized as the Housing Choice Voucher Program, provides rental assistance to more than 16,000 low-income households. Managed by the San Diego Housing Commission (SDHC), this section aims to bridge the gap between the rental costs in the private market and what low-income individuals or families can afford. 

Eligibility For This Section

The criteria below should be met for a person eligible for Section 8.

Further, it is also important that the one household person has legal documentation. SDHC conducts background checks for the verification of legal status and screens.

You might still get help even if you had some legal trouble, but not if

If one gets selected by meeting all the requirements under Section 8, SDHC will cover 70% of your rent and utilities. You need to pay the rest, which is 30%.

How To Apply For Section 8?

Now the question arises: How will an individual find the house? Here’s the answer. 

There are a few ways to go about it, as listed below.

What Is The Impact of Section 8 On Property Managers and Landlords?

Landlords can’t say no to tenants because they are on Section 8 and must treat them like any other renter. But yes! They have the authority to apply their regular tenant screening criteria. 

There are several benefits of accepting Section 8 for property Managers and landlords, such as:

How is Section 8 incorporated into the income assessment?

Section 8 vouchers are considered a valid form of income during applicant screening combined with regular wages and other potential financial aid sources. This collective assessment determines the tenant’s affordability.

Now comes the factors affecting this aspect! 

The above evaluation gives a thorough understanding of the tenant’s financial situation which helps in making fair and accurate affordability determinations within the Section 8 program.

What Is The Leasing Process of Section 8 Applicants?

Below are the steps involved in the leasing process for Section 8 applicants. 

Can Landlords & Managers Raise The Rent?

You must be wondering whether you can raise the rent, given that Section 8 is a financial assistance program. No need to worry about this! Landlords have the authority to raise the rent, but several rules and regulations must be followed.


To conclude, Section 8 in San Diego links people with limited incomes to decent homes. For tenants, it means more housing options and stability. Landlords can still ask for fair rent, and the program ensures things are going well for everyone.

In case of queries, you can reach out to the Sunset property management professionals, and we’ll be more than happy to help you. 

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

  1. What is the minimum tenure of lease term requirement?
    The minimum tenure of lease term requirement is six months.

  2. How long does it take to get on the Section 8 waiting list in San Diego?
    The timeline can be more than ten years, and only one application should be submitted at a time.

  3. What is Section 8 in San Diego?
    Section 8 in San Diego is a government assistance program that provides affordable housing options for individuals and families with limited financial means. 

Reset password

Enter your email address and we will send you a link to change your password.