People love the greater San Diego area for its many attractive features including the nearly perfect weather, access to beaches, and a warm relaxing feeling. Oh yes, and there is the San Diego Zoo, SeaWorld, nature, and hiking, Balboa Park, the San Diego Maritime Museum, nightlife, great restaurants, and so much more to love. One of the “jewels” in the crown of San Diego is the South Park area.
The Story About South Park
South Park is a beautiful tree-lined community east of the downtown area and is adjacent to the Golden Hill and Balboa neighborhoods. It is predominantly a single-family residence area with a walkable business district. South Park is considered one of the major historic urban communities in the San Diego area and it features a wonderful collection of Craftsman and Spanish Colonial Revival style homes built in the early 1900s. 30th street, one of the main roads through South Park, was named the nation’s best craft beer boulevard by Men’s Journal.
Things to do in South Park
South Park attractions for residents and visitors alike include:
- The Balboa Park Golf course, offering beautiful views of downtown San Diego.
- Juniper Canyon is an incredible wilderness area full of footpaths, vegetation, and hilly vistas for great daytime nature walks and pleasant twilight strolls.
- The Ginseng Yoga Studio fills the yoga exercise needs for residents and visitors of all ability levels.
- Life is a hip boutique offering unconventional and trendy shopping options.
- Progress is a furniture store and more offering LA-made furniture and other goods to enjoy.
- Make Good is a boutique shop offering a wide variety of locally made goods that make great gifts for any occasion. It features artisans from the greater San Diego area and neighboring Tijuana, Mexico.
- Graffiti Beach is another trendy boutique that offers a unique blend of clothing, jewelry, and original souvenirs made in partnership with local San Diego artists to convey the flavor of Southern California.
There are Great Restaurants in South Park
The living and eating are easy and great in South Park, including these appealing restaurants:
- Buona Forchetta, a superb Italian restaurant, considered to be “at the top of the game,” here.
- Piacere Mio, a fine place for a date night, friends, or family to gather.
- Kindred, a great choice for its wide alcohol list and more.
- South Park Kitchen features a wide variety of tasty items.
- Hamilton’s Tavern is a hidden gem between South Park and Golden Hill and offers great drinks and great food.
- Shawarma Guys is a unique and highly regarded food truck restaurant.
- Station Tavern & Burgers, featuring great beverages and burgers and an awesome ambiance.
- Matteo, a superb sister restaurant to Buona Forchetta.
Oh, and South Park is a bike-friendly community, so it is easy to ride and enjoy everything the community has to offer (although other public and private transportation is also available.)
South Park’s “Sister” Community, Golden Hill, Also Has Much to Offer
Adjacent to South Park is Golden Hill, another “gem” in the crown of San Diego. It offers one of San Diego’s most diverse neighborhoods, along with great views of downtown San Diego, Coronado Bridge, and San Diego Bay. And like South Park, it offers some wonderful early San Diego architecture, along with direct access to Balboa Park. Plus, more great restaurants abound in Golden Hill.
Traveling in or just enjoying all that greater San Diego has to offer? Be sure to make South Park an important part of your exploration or travel plans. Come and stay awhile with us.