Although some may say Golden Hill is back and better than ever, there are others who might tell you that it never went anywhere. One of San Diego’s most famous – and briefly infamous – neighborhoods has been attracting a lot of positive attention these days. People like its downright funky vibe and strong sense of community. Great efforts have also taken place to remove some of the rougher elements more commonplace in the 1990s and make it into the safe and welcome place it once was – and, really still is. Their are many things to Do in Golden Hill.
There’s a lot to enjoy: the area south of Balboa Park and north of Sherman Heights has been a favorite place to live since the late 1880s. The transformation over the last few years, referred to as the 25th Street Revival, has helped bring in a wide variety of cultures, interests and incomes, everyone from students to musicians to artists to recent legal immigrants
Efforts are being taken to slow down gentrification, since a lot of people say they like the neighborhood just fine the way it is now.
If your travels take you to Golden Hill for fun or for possible relocation, check out some of these enjoyable activities.
- One of the best signs of a vibrant community is the local food choices. You’ll find it here, with some of the area’s top restaurants. Pizzeria Luigi, for instance, has received national fame as one of the best pies on the West Coast. Humberto’s Taco Shop attracts attention as well as the Turf Supper Club, where you can actually cook your own meat on a self-service grill.
- Enjoy the homes. You don’t have to know a lot about architecture to know that there are all sorts of interesting shapes and sizes of homes. If you do know a thing or two about home styles, you’ll be amazed at abundance of types all in one area. Look for pre-1900 homes, Colonial Revival, Mission, Craftsman, Bungalow, and even a Swiss chalet or two. It’s a bit like going back in time for the different eras.
- Along with being a focal point of the neighborhood, the Golden Hill Recreation Center offers classes, activities, and ways to be fit and have fun for all ages. Programs are offered through the YMCA of San Diego.
- There are plenty of pubs, bars and taverns. Don’t forget The Best Damn Beer Shop, a perfectly-named establishment within the Krisp organic grocery. The shop is proud to offer more than 1,000 brews from the world for sale. Or, if you want something less hoppy and want to get hopped up on caffeine, you’ll find a wide assortment of coffee houses like Dark Horse Coffee Roasters.
- Get pampered. The Girl on the Go! Night Spa is designed for those who crave the spa experience and services like manis and pedis, but can’t get there easily during the day. So this establishment loves the dinner crowd and perhaps the dinner and drinks crowd.
- The atmosphere here these days has been described as festive. There are frequent concerts and community gatherings. But a few events can gain plenty of visitors, including the Golden Hill Block Party each fall.
Overall, the Golden Hill location has something for everyone.