Here are some in-depth instructions on the application process and what is expected from applicants. Read over this carefully to make sure you get your application processed as fast as possible. If you have any questions feel free to contact us at the Sunset Property Management & Realty Team and we will get back to you as soon as we are able.
APPLYING: We do not charge an application fee. Applying is FREE! Go to our application online at: https://www.sunsetspm.com/apply and fill it out carefully with as much information as possible. Some things to note:
- We do verify your current rental history & employment information provided in your application. Please make sure that the contact information for your current landlord and employer are accurate.
- Every person planning on living with you who is over the age of 18 must also fill out an application and complete a credit/background check. Send them this information to help their application process along.
- If cosigners are allowed for a certain property (check the rental ad) they will need to also fill out an application and go through this same process as well.
INCOME & CREDIT QUALIFICATIONS: All tenants must bring in at least three times the rent in earned income (combined). These are the forms of income we accept:
- We do not accept cosigners.
- Gross income.
- Liquid assets (cash in the bank).
- Income and assistance vouchers (Section 8 & others).
- School financial aid, loans, and BAH.
- Must have a debt to income ratio below 32%.
- Prospective tenant(s) must earn 3 times the rent in a combined total.
- Must have a good credit score/history.
- A credit check is required and is done through TransUnion. (They charge $30 per application. We receive no funds from this.)
PROOF OF INCOME: The types of documents you can use are good CLEAR digital photos and/or PDF files (for instructions click here) or scanned photos of any one of these:
- Two most recent pay stubs from your job or LES statements.
- Letter from HR stating how much you will be making.
- Last 3 months of bank statements showing deposits made. (Most banks websites will have downloadable statements via PDF file format or some other file format. You are welcome to send those as well.)
- If you are a student you may also send in scanned documentation from financial aid, school grants, or loans showing how much you will be receiving.
- Section 8 & other housing vouchers are accepted as a form of income, however, our income qualifications remain 3 times the rental rate.
While applying online you can use our application to upload the below-mentioned documents or you can also email your proof to: email@example.com
DO NOT use blurry photos, cell phone and/or computer screenshots that do not have the applicants’ names on them. They will NOT be accepted.
Remember most of our rentals have the requirement that the applicant(s) must earn at least 3 times the rent or more in GROSS income (of all applicants combined).
***Applications are reviewed only after ALL APPLICANTS (age 18+) have completed the application, We review in the order of first-party completed, first served. If there is more than one applicant for a property, ALL applications must be submitted with their proof of income to be put in the line and reviewed.
***Remember if you are having trouble submitting proof of income via the online application please email these items to firstname.lastname@example.org
SHOWING SCHEDULE: To schedule a showing with the agent, you will have to have ALL interested applicants over the age of 18 apply and send in proof of income as mentioned above. We will then get a hold of you to schedule a property showing. We have done this as a safety measure against COVID. You can view our showing schedule by clicking here.
CREDIT/BACKGROUND CHECK: After you have decided to move forward with your application, we will send you an order for a credit/background check that is processed through TransUnion SmartMove (Want to know more? Click here). The credit/background check is a non-refundable fee of $30. This fee goes directly to TransUnion SmartMove, and not us. The order email is not sent automatically. We have to initiate that part of the process. — At this time, SmartMove only has the ability to process an application for renters who have a valid U.S. Social Security number. Please contact us to discuss how to proceed with the application process if you do not have a U.S. Social Security number.
AWESOME CREDIT CHECK FACT: Did you know when you apply with us and perform a credit check, your credit score will not be affected? That is because YOU will be pulling your own credit report, unlike if a bank or other financial institution did a pull on your credit history. Banks & creditors are known to make what is called a “hard pull” on your credit, which can ding your score. We use TransUnion’s “SmartMove” service and that only performs what is referred to as a “soft pull” on your credit which will not change your score at all. You can find more info on that on the TransUnion SmartMove website (click here).
VERIFYING INFORMATION: We will spend some time verifying your rental and employment history that you have entered into your rental application. Again, please make sure the contact information is accurate as you can to make this process quick and easy. The more information, the better.
GETTING APPROVED: Once all the steps above are finished and you have passed all of our rental requirements (you will find them stated within the rental ad and above in the Income & Credit Qualifications section of this page) the next step is simple. We will need to get approval from the owner of the property. You will be notified if you have been approved or not by one of the Sunset Property Management & Realty Team members.
LEASE HOLDING DEPOSIT: Sunset Property Management does a lot of our processes online to make it easier to get the job done. We will draw up the lease and send it to you to digitally sign via DocuSign. You will be notified via the email address you entered on the application to look over the documents and sign.
** All deposits & first months rent must be paid to Sunset Property Management and Realty by Money Order or Cashiers Check only.
You are welcome to come by our office and drop off your holding deposit and first months’ rent payment. You can find us at 2321 Morena Blvd. Suite F, San Diego, CA 92110 (click here for a Google Map/Directions link). We also have a dropbox available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You will find the dropbox right where you enter the driveway from Morena Blvd. on your right. It is located directly across from the building’s mailboxes with our company logo on it. Once the holding deposit has been paid we will begin removing the property listing from the internet and start the move-in process.